Friday, September 12, 2008

Teaching Quietness








A lofty goal for the year is to help my 7th and 8th grade girls class learn about meditation. It seems nearly impossible to imagine this working as they pass around the latest Zac Efron and Joe Jonas photos, text under the table or spell out the latest drama! If only a small part of my plan works, though, they will learn a valuable skill.
When I assigned 20 minutes of quietness yesterday the7th graders seemed puzzled. Wiser to my strange ideas, the 8ths (who had me last year)nodded sagely as if to say, "She has these strange notions, but they'll pass." I hope they're wrong.
Quietness, stillness of heart and spending a more dedicated chunk of my day with God was the main thing I did this summer. Psalms were so much more alive! I was content. I never want this to change--I desire a deeper way of life...and, with the heart of a teacher, I want to spread the idea to those in my care.
For the next few weeks my class will be making a collage for themselves. It is all about Psalm 1, with the end goal of showing that the concept of true blessedness can seep into one's soul. They are working to picture what it would be like to be the person pictured in the Psalm. I hope to post photos of the completed projects :)

1 comment:

  1. Please let me know how this works out! what is it with middle schoolers?? no really Anni is coming home with the best questions and conversations. She has some very open teachers and she's surrounded by a lot of jr high boys-need i say more. thankfully most of the stuff that comes out of their mouths makes her uncomfortable and she tells me about it! But spending time with God..?? She spent more quiet time with him when she was 9! does that make sense to one who's been there already???
    ~g

    ReplyDelete