Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Inspiration and Ice

Grading grading grading--all the writing that I grade has been my main reason not to write! It is not so much that I feel like someone might grade me (yikes), but that I am pretty tired of it. I love love love love love love love teaching, I enjoy all the new stuff from students and seeing their work grow, it is more of the tedious nature of the craft that becomes uninspiring.
Strange though, I am easily inspired...
I have found that it makes a huge difference for me to take a moment to step outside of my work, family, home world and breathe. Breathing might be listening to someone else's ideas, listening to their stories, playing with small children or um, throwing ice. Yes, ice.
Last week in my 7th and 8th grade Bible class I was attempting to discuss depression with the girls. Inspired by the non-fun I had at their ages, I felt that this would be a significant class. We talked about the depression David expressed in the Psalms, as well as the fact that depression is a fact. My next idea was to share coping strategies. Chocolate, sleep, music, friends, and texting were brought up and things were going well. My desire was for them to be a bit more creative and to also bring in postive physical outlets--so I suggested throwing ice. I have found it to be quite cathartic--it tosses well, you can aim for targets, causes no damage (if you are careful) and you don't have to clean it up.
Personally, I thought it was brilliant. I was alone in this. The class erupted. Erupted beyond control. There was giggling, then laughter, followed by hilarity. I tried to regain control, twice. Then I gave in.
My current idea for depression--find a group of 7th and 8th grade girls and suggest something. They'll laugh long enough that you may be led to join in :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it. Throwing ice can be dangerous though; I gave a girl stitches on her eyebrow at a slumber party in Jr. High, by tormenting her with ice cubes while she was trying to sleep... (she sat up from her sleeping bag quite suddenly, mid-toss...) wasn't pretty.

    I've been checking for a post from you for a while! I figured you were buried under grading about this time of year! yikes! I miss those giggly girls over there ... we should definitely do coffee soon! maybe you, me and mel can have a late night (as in 8 when the kids go to bed) coffee or dessert date! ...???

    Let me know if you have some free night (free from grades!)

    ReplyDelete